World Population Day | Overpopulation | Population Day | Population Day 2020 | 2020 World Population Day | World Population Day 2020 | World Population Day 2020 Theme | World Population Day Quotes | World Population Day | Advantages Of World Population Day | Message on World Population Day | World Population Day Activities | World Population Day India
World Population Day is celebrated on the 11th of July every year. World Population Day aims to increase people’s awareness on various population issues such as the importance of family planning, gender equality, poverty, maternal health and human rights. The day was suggested by Dr. K.C.Zachariah in which population reaches Five Billion when he worked as Sr Demographer at World Bank. World population day is celebrated at international level by organizing variety of activities and events to draw attention of mass people to work together on the issues of growing population. Activities include seminar discussions, educational information sessions and essay competitions.
The largest countries in the world in terms of population are China and India, with both countries now having populations of well over a billion. The United States comes in third with just under 325 million residents.
The objectives of celebrating World Population Day:
- World Population Day is celebrated to protect and empower youths of both genders like girls and boys
- To offer them detail knowledge about the sexuality and delay marriages till they become able to understand their responsibilities
- Educate youths to avoid unwanted pregnancies by using reasonable and youth-friendly measures
- Educate people to remove the gender stereotypes from society
- Educate them about the pregnancy-related illnesses to raise public awareness about the dangers of early childbirth
- Educate them about STD (sexually transmitted diseases) to get prevented from various infections
- Demand for some effective laws and policies implementation in order to protect girl child rights
- Make sure about the access to equal primary education to both girls and boys
World Population Day dates:
World Population Day 2020: Theme
World Population Day 2020 was to raise awareness of women’s and girls’ needs for sexual and reproductive health and vulnerabilities during the pandemic.
World Population Day 2019: Theme
UN Council every year decides the theme of World Population Day but in 2019 specific theme is not decided and calls for global attention to the unfinished business of the 1994 International Conference on Population and Development
World Population Day Quotes:
“Every state has the primary duty to protect its own population from grave and sustained violations of human rights, as well as from the consequences of humanitarian crises, whether natural or man-made”.
– Pope Benedict XVI
“Almost half of the population of the world lives in rural regions and mostly in a state of poverty. Such inequalities in human development have been one of the primary reasons for unrest and, in some parts of the world, even violence”.
– A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
“As a woman leader, I thought I brought a different kind of leadership. I was interested in women’s issues, in bringing down the population growth rate… as a woman, I entered politics with an additional dimension – that of a mother”.
– Benazir Bhutto
Yet food is something that is taken for granted by most world leaders despite the fact that more than half of the population of the world is hungry”.
– Norman Borlaug
“A finite world can support only a finite population; therefore, population growth must eventually equal zero”.
– Garrett Hardin
“The combination of population growth and the growth in consumption is a danger that we are not prepared for and something we will need global co-operation on”.
– Maurice Strong