World Animal Day 2020
World Animal Day is celebrated on 4 October every year to raise awareness about improving the welfare standards of the animals around the world. It is celebrated in different ways in every country, irrespective of nationality, religion, faith, or political ideology. Through increased awareness and education we can create a world where animals are always recognized as sentient beings and full regard is always paid to their welfare.
History Of World Animal Day
World Animal Day was first celebrated in 1931 at a convention of ecologists in Florence, Italy to highlight the plight of endangered species. October 4 was annually chosen to celebrate this day because of the feast day of St Francis of Assisi. In 2003, the first World Animal Day website was launched by the Naturewatch Foundation which is a UK-based animal welfare charity.
The Importance Of animals
The importance of animals can be categorized as ecological, economic, and investigatory importance as well as conservation of biological diversities, etc. Animals have also been highly useful to us in providing food, clothing, and source of income. We are also a part of animals to make ecological balance on earth. It plays a very important role in our life.
1. Animal helps in maintaining the ecological balance of nature.
2. The animal can be used to earn money. Wild animal products such as meat, medicines, and silk are of huge economic value.
3. Scientific experiments are done on some animals. These experiments are related to the discovery of new drugs. This helps in making medicines for treatment for a disease. Generally, monkeys and rats are used for scientific research experiments.
4. By conserving animals, diversity in the environment can be conserved.
5. Few wild animals also have great importance in terms of tourism.
How to celebrate World Animal Day?
World Animal Day is celebrated every year to spread awareness about the status of animals and improve their welfare standards. You don’t have to be an activist to celebrate World Animal Day. Here are a few ideas for you:
1. Donate to some of the nonprofit organizations for animal welfare.
2. Volunteer your time at a local shelter or animal sanctuary.
3. Educate yourself. Read up on animal issues and how to help them.
4. If you’re unable to take part in the events or campaigns in your city, you can always do your bit by starting an online campaign. Use the hashtag on social media #WorldAnimalDay